Three Nakuru Members of Parliament (MPs) were yesterday grilled by detectives attached to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) in relation to high insecurity levels in the area.
Nakuru Town East MP David Gikaria, his Nakuru West counterpart Samuel Arama and Bahati’s Kimani Ngunjiri were summoned to appear before the DCI office in Nakuru to record statements over the recent spate of daytime killings witnessed in Nakuru.
They were questioned on the alleged association with the dreaded criminal gang in Nakuru called ‘Confirm’.
Today, Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i, Inspector-General of Police Hillary Mutyambai and DCI boss are expected to tour the area after a sting operation was mounted against the criminal gangs.
Matiang’i on Saturday ordered a sting operation to flush out members of the notorious criminal gang from Nakuru.
The ‘confirm’ gang is a group of young people who have been going around Nakuru while robbing and even assaulting innocent Kenyans and that is the reason why the security agencies have now been ordered to deal with them.
The dreaded gang and its splinter groups have been linked to a series of killings of women in Mawanga, on the outskirts of Nakuru.
Although police are still investigating the bizarre murders, intelligence reports indicate that members of the group could be behind the killings.
Police have so far arrested 128 suspects in the ongoing crackdown on the notorious Confirmed criminal gang.
Rift Valley Regional Commissioner Maalim Mohamed said various leaders have also recorded statements over their alleged link to the criminal outfit.
“Investigations are ongoing and we will ensure they are arraigned in court,” Maalim told the press in Nakuru.
Five women have been killed within Nakuru’s Mawanga area in the past two weeks.
The group uses crude weapons including machetes, clubs, swords and metal rods to execute their criminal acts.
“Anyone who will be found armed with any of these items will be considered to be armed with an AK 47 rifle. There will be no difference between you and members of this group,” Maalim warned the public.
“If we find you, you know the outcome and this is our message to these criminal gangs,” he added.
Maalim said as at now, 108 cases have been reported linked to the criminal gangs.
He said among the exhibits recovered from the arrested suspects include mobile phones, sims cards among other items.
“We have 406 phones, 40 laptops, 62 knives, six swords, 15 machetes over 100kgs of bhang and 3,367 rolls of hard drugs including heroine,” Maalim said.
The commissioner said they have also impounded ten stolen motorcycles in the operation but no one has come forward to claim them.
“We will seek a court order to destroy the items because we don’t want them back into the hands of citizens but the motorcycles will be forfeited for public use or auctioned to raise public revenue,” Maalim said.
He said they have mapped out hotpot areas with a high presence of the gang where authorities will focus their operations.
“And it’s not a matter of two of three days. It’s a job that will last forever to ensure the lives of residents of this area are protected.”