After giving Azimio One Kenya Coalition presidential pair; Raila Odinga and his running mate Martha Karua a clean bill of health to run for the presidency in the upcoming August 9 polls, Raila listed a ten points demand he wants addressed by the electoral body, the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) as listed below.
However, Raila expressed full confidence in the commission and the Forth Estate dismissing claims of biasness against the latter by Deputy President William Ruto and his Kenya Kwanza brigade.
Electronic identification of voters and transmission of results.
- Has the commission developed constitutionally compliant protocols and the results transmission path to the national tallying center?
- When will the commission share the said protocols with stakeholders?
- What is the status of the voter registration exercise; county by county and constituency by constituency?
Audit of the register of voters.
- Is the preliminary report by the audit firm ready? If so, what are the preliminary findings?
- When is the draft final report of the audit of register of voters expected?
Amendment of the Elections General Regulations (2012)
- Proposal to amend the elections by general regulations which is currently before parliament. The status and why.
- Proposal to amend 3 (a) of the Elections General Regulations (2012) giving the presiding officer power to open a ballot box that has been sealed to remove wrongly put materials at the constituency tallying center.
Recruitment of returning officers.
The commission has submitted a proposal to amend the elections regulations to give itself exclusive mandate to appoint elections officials, including constituency, county and presiding returning officers, as well as their deputies without sharing their details to political parties and independent candidates as presently required by regulations 3, 4 and 5 of the Elections General Regulations (2012).
Printing of ballot papers
What measures have the commission put in place to ensure there are no lapses, both logistical and security in the general election?
- What is the status of data migration?
- What steps and measures has the commission taken to reduce or eliminate risks that could affect the functioning of election technology?
In late April 2022, IEBC announced that it will add 10,000 polling stations.
- When does the commission intend to carry out timely head to head testing of election technology?
- Has the commission conducted an annual audit of election technology to guarantee data integrity to ensure that the technology functions effectively as specified?
- (What has the commission done to) ensure that the internal controls are effective?
What measures or steps has the commission taken to address the systemic inadequacies identified by the Supreme Court in 2017?
What is the status of compliance with statutory timelines set out in the revised elections operations plan released by the commission on January 17, 2022?