Nairobi governor Johnson Sakaja has announced waiver of medical fees at the county facilities for the victims of yesterday’s gas explosion yesterday at Mradi in Embakasi, Nairobi that has so far claimed two lives.
In his statement, the county boss consoled the bereaved families and those injured adding that relief items have also been dispatched to those affected.
“The county Government has also waived all medical fees at the County facilities attending to the injured and bereaved. We have mobilized relief items in conjunction with other agencies to ensure the comfort of all those affected.” He said in his statement.
He indicated that the county emergency response team is on-site to provide the necessary support.
“Currently, all County Health and Medical teams are also managing the situation and also working hand in hand with the County Disaster and Risk management teams who continue to provide the necessary support to the victims of the fire incident.” He added.
The county is expected to give a further update on the situation later.
Updates from the government spokesperson Isaac Mwaura, a total of 222 people were injured by the fire, and have been rushed to various hospitals in the capital for treatment.
Twenty-one victims were taken to Kenyatta National Hospital, 160 to Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital, 19 to Mbagathi Hospital, 14 to Modern Komarock Hospital, and eight are being treated at Nairobi West Hospital.
Also, the government reported that the scene has been secured, and a command center is now in place to help coordinate rescue operations and other intervention efforts.
He asked Kenyans to keep off the cordoned area to allow the rescue mission to be carried out with minimal disruptions.
The government said that the incident started when a lorry with an unknown registration number plate that was loaded with gas exploded, igniting a huge ball of fire that spread widely.
“A flying gas cylinder hit Oriental Godown, burning down the said go-down which deals with garments & and textiles. Consequently, the inferno further damaged several vehicles and commercial properties, including many small and medium-sized businesses. Sadly, residential houses in the neighborhood also caught fire, with a good number of residents still inside as it was late at night.” Mwaura said.