Members of Parliament threatened to reject the supplementary budget earlier this week when the National Treasury denied a Sh1.4 billion provision for fertilizer subsidies.
According to the lawmakers, the funds would be used to help reduce high fertilizer prices, which have driven up production costs.
Agriculture Committee chairman Silas Tiren highlighted they had asked for Sh15 billion but had received no response from the Cabinet as a backup option, they proposed Sh1.4 billion.
“We have received an addendum from the treasury and we are going to reject it. I want to urge members to support us when the report is presented,” he said.
The committee has also called on the Agriculture Minister Peter Munya to speak about fertilizer prices.
The Treasury offered a supplementary budget of Sh2.7 trillion for approval.
It contains Sh1.5 trillion for the executive branch, Sh50.22 billion for the legislature, Sh18.9 billion for the judiciary and Sh370 billion for counties.
“We are in the rainy season and we need the price of fertiliser to come down as early as today if the government doesn’t listen to is, I will ensure the supplementary budget is shot down.This is not a threat ,but I will convince my friends to bring it down,” said Aldai MP Cornelly Serem.
Nominated MP David Sankok said no form of budget would be considered by the House until the plight of farmers is addressed.
“No budget for fertilisers, no budget will be read in this House. Members must choose where they belong, whether on the side of a rogue government or the side of the farmers,” he said.
This comes after the National Cereals and Produce Board (NCPB) stated they will not sell or distribute any government subsidised fertiliser ahead of the next planting season from March.
The board distanced itself from information circulating in the social media urging farmers to register for assorted types of planting and top-dressing fertiliser that will be made available by the board at subsidised prices of between Sh1,800 and Sh2,400 per 50 kg bag.
Through a statement, the board clarified that it is currently dealing with commercial fertiliser, which it sells through its depots in a free and open manner.
“The board’s attention has been drawn to fake news circulating on social media regarding the distribution of subsidised fertilizer,” it stated.
Early last month Ford Kenya leader Moses Wetang’ula urged President Uhuru Kenyatta to ensure maize farmers receive fertiliser and seeds at affordable prices ahead of the planting season.
The senator who spoke in Mulachi village, in Webuye East constituency said most farmers have decried the high cost of fertiliser.
“Kenyan maize farmers especially from the Western region that is the country’s food breadbasket from Kapenguria, West Pokot, Trans Nzoia, Bungoma, Kakamega, Nandi, Uasin Gishu need fertiliser to ensure good yields,” he said.
The fertiliser was expected to be procured in January and be distributed from February 11, 2022 in selected NCPB stores.