The Director of Public Prosecutions has tabled an application to withdraw the assault charges against Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko.
Senior resident magistrate Fredrick Nyakundi said that the complainant is no longer interested in pursuing the matter.
The governor was to be arraigned on December 18 last year before senior resident magistrate Fredrick Nyakundi but his lawyers said he was unwell and on bed rest.Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko outside the Voi Law Court on Tuesday, January 21, 2020.
According to the charge sheet, Sonko assaulted the police officer at 12.30pm in the due execution of his duties contrary to section 103 of the National Police Service Act 2011.
The governor was also accused of kicking Coast regional commander Rashid Yakubu on the thigh during his arrest at Ikanga strip.
Four witnesses including Commander Yakub and police officers James Mwanzia, Michael Muriithi, Fred Sabai, Stephen Mtawa, Ibrahim Ahmed have been listed to testify in the case.
The incident occurred on December 6, as the governor was being arrested at a roadblock in Voi over graft allegations at City Hall.
Sonko is facing 19 charges of corruption, abuse of office and irregular payments that lost the county Sh357 million in Nairobi.