More than 178,000 students who sat their Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) exams last year have not taken up their Form One slots in the admission that ended on Friday last week, dealing blow to government’s 100 percent transition policy.
Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed said out of the 1,052,364 students selected to join Form One this year, only 873,463 (83 percent) were captured in the National Education Management Information System (Nemis).
But Ms Mohamed said the ministry is working closely with stakeholders to ensure the remaining students take up their slots before the first term ends.
In addition, the CS said they are studying Nemis data to determine which schools and gender were most affected.
“The Nemis system has given the government real time numbers on admission of students into secondary schools, including those who sought changes to the initial admission data the ministry had provided,” she said.
Earlier, the CS had directed county and regional directors of education to engage local administrators to ensure all candidates join Form One.