Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has announced that he will name his Deputy on Friday almost a year since Polycarp Igathe called it quits.
Speaking to Citizen TV in Mombasa on Wednesday, Sonko further said he will also be announcing his cabinet in full on that day.
“Tukirudi Nairobi, nakuja na full cabinet nakuja na Deputy Governor…” (When we get back to Nairobi, I will come with the full cabinet and a deputy governor.) said Sonko who is currently in Mombasa.
The announcement comes amid talks of a possible crisis in the county following suspensions and resignation of County Executive Committee (CEC) members.
The position of Nairobi Deputy Governor fell governor after Polycarp Igathe resigned on January 12, 2018 — five months after elections — citing failure to earn the trust of his boss Sonko.
Sonko settled on controversial lawyer Miguna Miguna as his deputy, a decision that was rejected by the County Assembly.
Several CECs have either been sent packing or suspended among them Veska Kangogo, Danvas Makori, and Emma Mukuhi.
Devolution CEC Larry Wambua’s fate remains uncertain leaving three CECs Allan Igambi (Finance), Charles Kerich (Lands) and Mohammed Dagane (Transport) in office.
“We are the only people with a contract of one month or one year,” noted Janet Ouko. who resigned on Monday as CEC Education.
In October last year, the Nairobi County Public Service Board put out a notice calling for applications for five positions of CEC’s. This was part of governor Sonko’s move to replace sacked CEC’s and those whose contracts had run out.
The new additions were to be in place by end of November 2018, according to acting County Secretary Pauline Kahiga. With the vacancies still open, focus remains on likely candidates including that of the deputy governor’s slot and service delivery to the residents of Nairobi.