Youth in Mombasa have given governor Hassan Joho two weeks to clean the town and open closed garbage outlets.
The say he is negligent and jeopardises public health and that they will sue if he does not take action.
They have also threatened to begin the process of removing the ODM deputy boss from office if the waste menace persists.
The group demonstrated on Tuesday saying Joho’s poor leadership is to blame.
“Waste management is a complex issue due to corruption and bad governorship,” one Alex Mwange said.
Last week, environment executive Godfrey Nyongesa announced closure of some garbage outlets to contains heaps of waste.
He said unlicensed entities and individuals will not operate because they are the cause of garbage pile-ups and diseases outbreaks in Mombasa.